by Institute of Science in Society.
A weapon system that operates at the speed of light, that can kill, torture, enslave and escape detection, Harlan Girard.
The ultimate weapon
Electromagnetic weapons operate at the speed of light; they can kill, torture and enslave; but the public are largely unaware that they exist, because these weapons operate by stealth and leave no physical evidence. Electromagnetic weapons have been tested on human beings since 1976. By widely dispersing the involuntary human test-subjects, and vehemently attacking their credibility, it has been possible for the United States to proceed with these human experiments unhindered by discussions or criticisms, let alone opposition.
This ultimate weapon system is currently being deployed in Iraq. The US Air Force and the Marine Corps refer to it as “active denial technology”, as if it were used purely for defense, but it is not (see Box 1).
The truth about “active denial technology”
There is only one electromagnetic spectrum. Nuclear weapons release a great deal of ionizing radiation in the high frequency range above visible light, where the energy of the radiation is capable of breaking chemical bonds. Ionizing radiation is generally acknowledged to cause cancer.
The US military has weaponized the non-ionizing radiation below the visible range, the microwaves and radio waves that are used in mobile phones and telecommunications. The US government has strenuously denied that there could be health hazards from non-ionizing electromagnetic radiation, both as a defence of the involuntary human research it has been conducting for many years but has not yet acknowledged, and to dissuade other countries from developing similar weapons.
The only biological effect of non-ionizing radiation that the US government has acknowledged for many years is heating, and accordingly, it characterizes “active denial technology” as that which produces pain from sudden heating of the skin; but this is not how it really works.
Reading brain waves and mind control
In 1959, Saul B. Sells, a professor of social psychology at a minor US university submitted a proposal to the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) to build for them the most sophisticated electroencephalography machine that would have an integral computational capacity to analyze and, hopefully, make sense of the brain waves it recorded. In other words, the professor proposed to make a machine that could tell the CIA what a person was thinking, whether or not the person wished to disclose that information.
The CIA approved the project in 1960, adding some library research with five objectives. The fifth objective of the research was, “Techniques for Activating the Human Organism by Remote Electronic Means”. The entire assignment was thereafter known as MKULTRA subproject 119, MKULTRA being the CIA’s notorious mind control programme. It was based on the erroneous notion that the Soviets already possessed the means to control minds and the US had to catch up as rapidly as possible.
The documents pertaining to MKULTRA subproject 119 are now held in the National Security Archives (a non-governmental organization) at George Washington University in Washington, D.C. . John Marks, author of The Search for the Manchurian Candidate: The CIA and Mind Control, (Times Books, New York, 1979) donated the MKULTRA documents; his book was republished by W.W. Norton & Company, Inc., New York, 1991 and is still in print.
Project Bizarre followed MKULTRA subproject 119 in 1965. The purpose of Bizarre was to record and analyze the complex microwave signal allegedly being beamed at the American Embassy in Moscow by the Soviets from a building across the street. The interesting thing about Project Bizarre is that while the United States has denied to this very day that there could be adverse health effects from microwave radiation, it immediately suspected that “the Moscow signal” was producing a variety of health effects in Embassy personnel, particularly in the successive ambassadors at whose office it was claimed the signal was being beamed. At the same time that the State Department was testing embassy personnel for DNA breaks produced by the Moscow signal, it felt constrained from complaining to the Soviets because the power of their signal was a tiny fraction of what the US said was a safe, human exposure level. Journalist Barton Reppert has written the most authoritative account of the Moscow signal . (Editor’s note: DNA breaks from exposure to mobile phones have been confirmed in recent lab research [3, 4] (Science in Society 24).)
Converting sound to microwaves
In 1973, Joseph C. Sharp, an experimental psychologist at Walter Reed Army Institute of Research performed an experiment that was pivotal to the development of the torture equipment being shipped to Iraq today. He had James Lin set up equipment in his laboratory which converted the shape of sound waves into microwave radiation that enabled him to hear himself vocalize the names of the numbers from one to ten in his head, by-passing the mechanism of his own ears. This particular experiment was never published but is mentioned in Lin’s book, Microwave Auditory Effects and Applications, published in 1978 .
The experiment has been confirmed in US Patent 6 587 729, “Apparatus for Audibly Communicating Speech Using the Radio Frequency Hearing Effect” . This patent is for an improved version of the apparatus used in the 1973 laboratory experiment, issued on July 1, 2003 and assigned to the Secretary of the Air Force. It provides scientific evidence that it is possible to hear threatening voices in one’s head without suffering from paranoid schizophrenia.
Why has this patent been published openly at a time when the US Government is practicing a degree of secrecy that rivals Stalin’s Kremlin? I have no satisfactory answer, except to say that the apparatus in the patent has already been superseded by equipment that achieves the same effect by far more sophisticated means. It blocks the normal processes of memory and thought by remote electronic means, while at the same time supplying false, distorted and/or unpleasant memories and suggestions by means of a process called “synthetic telepathy”. The equipment that produces synthetic telepathy is sometimes referred to as “influence technology”.
While voices and visions, daydreams and nightmares are the most astonishing manifestations of this weapon system, it is also capable of crippling the human subject by limiting his/her normal range of movement, causing acute pain the equivalent of major organ failure or even death, and interfering with normal functioning of any of the human senses. In other words, any of the tortures with which the words Guantanamo Bay have become synonymous can be achieved by remote, electronic means.
Instruments of torture
Influence technology is also capable of persuading the subjects that their mind is being read, that their intellectual property is being plundered, and can even motivate suicide or the murder of family, friends, and co-workers. During the years of the so-called “War on Drugs” (which preceded the “War on Terrorism”), letters that the involuntary human subjects had written or were about to receive regularly vanished from the mail, as though the government had a huge covert operation through post offices across the country. When George Herbert Walker Bush became president (in1989), the incidence of co-worker killings in the post offices became so great that the expression “going postal” began to replace the commonly used expression of “going crazy”. The killing of co-workers in other workplaces began to command more media attention too .
I estimate that the cost of imprisoning a human being in his/her own body and applying unremitting torture is US$5 000 000 to $10 000 000 a year (see below).
By “unremitting torture” I mean exactly that. Because there is no visible evidence left by this new torture equipment such as damage to the skin, it is possible to torture the involuntary human subjects for 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. This can be done and is being done even on Christmas and Easter .
I arrived at my estimate on the cost of testing/using electromagnetic weapons on a human subject by visiting a cable TV channel that specializes in the sale of goods over the air 24 hours a day. I questioned the number of technical staff required, their working hours and salary range; also the number of back-up personnel required to prepare the programming for broadcast. I did not inquire about the cost of electronics and the schedule by which it is depreciated. I have estimated a cost for depreciation that is included in my estimate of the cost of torturing one involuntary human subject for one year.
Torture is a labor-intensive business. What objective would justify this investment? Could it be something as insane as to rule the world by enslaving the democratic governments of the more populous countries? This objective is certainly consistent with the United States’ disdain for, and hostility toward, the United Nations, the international conventions and covenants it has ratified in the past and customary international law .
On 1 March 2001, the Marine Corps announced a new non-lethal weapon, “active denial technology”. It produces enormous pain by allegedly boiling the molecules of water in the human skin without damaging the skin itself. As described in an article published in New Scientist, it employs pulsed electromagnetic radiation at a frequency of 95 GHz with a range of about 600 meters . There have been several new reports in the magazine in 2005, including one published in July , describing volunteers taking part in tests to determine how safe the Active Denial System (ADS) weapon would be if used in real crowd-control. The ADS weapon’s beam was reported to cause pain within 2 to 3 seconds, and becomes “intolerable after less than 5 seconds”.
Active denial technology is the cornerstone of the system employed to torture 2 000 persons in the privacy of their own homes, not only in the United States but around the world, wherever countries have signed Status of Forces Agreements with the United States . Allegations of torture were first received from countries with which the United States has a special intelligence-sharing relationship i.e. the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. Then reports began to arrive from the conquered countries where the United States still has large numbers of troops stationed, i.e. Germany and Japan. When France rejoined the military arm of NATO in the late 90s, we began to receive allegations of torture in France. Very recently we have begun to receive allegations of torture from India, where American companies have begun to outsource, not only help lines, but also programming .
And then there is the case of Russia, where the involuntary, human subjects of torture experiments appear to be both numerous and well organized. I have been told reliably that every Russian scientist who could speak English has now found a home in an American university or government laboratory. This is plausible, considering the frequently voiced American worry that Soviet era experts in nuclear weaponry and biological warfare might find employment in Iran. It is a fact that at the end of World War II the US Army swept through Germany in an operation called Project Paperclip, recruiting, in particular, Nazi rocket scientists and experts in aerospace medicine. Some other scientists were recruited simply to deprive the Soviet Union of this resource. So what has become of the Soviet scientists who didn’t speak English? In time we will find out for certain, but for now it is a safe guess that at least some of them have been employed to study the Russian value system and decision making processes by torturing other Russians with American “influence technology” .
Two interesting and important articles on bioelectromagnetic weapons have recently appeared in the New Scientist: “Maximum pain is aim of new U.S. weapon” and “Police toy with ‘less lethal’ weapons”, both written by David Hambling . See also US. Patent 6 536 440 of March 25, 2003 .
Since completing this article in mid-June 2005, it has come to my attention that the Israelis are deploying a device called “The Scream”, which sends out bursts of audible, but not loud sound at intervals of about 10 seconds. A photographer at the scene of a demonstration said that he continued to hear the sound ringing in his head even after he covered his ears. This suggests to me that the active agent is electromagnetic rather than acoustic. In other words, the Israelis have come up with a device that is far cleverer than our “active denial technology”. It not only deters rioters, but also issues an audible warning that it has been turned on, which the US device does not, leaving it entirely to the enlisted men operating it to determine how much burning pain their adversaries receive. The margin for error with the US device is unconscionable. It may as well be called a lethal weapon because in practice it very frequently will be .
Notes and References
- List of MKULTRA Unclassified Documents (including subprojects), The National Security Archive, November 27, 2002, http://www.nemasys.com/rahome/library/programming/mkultra.shtml
- “The Moscow Signal – the zapping of an embassy: 35 years later, the mystery lingers”, Barton Reppert, Associated Press, May 21, 1988. This wire report was published in a number of newspapers on May 22, 1988 including, in particular, the Houston Chronicle.
- Ho MW. Mobile phones and brain damage. Science in Society 2004, 50-51. http://www.i-sis.org.uk/isisnews.php
- Ho MW. Electromagnetic fields, leukaemia and DNA damage. Science in Society 2004, 52-53. http://www.i-sis.org.uk/isisnews.php
- Lin J. Microwave Auditory Effects and Applications, Charles C. Thomas, Publisher; Springfield, IL. 221 pp., 1978.
- U.S. Patent 6,587,729 “Apparatus for audibly communicating” granted July 1, 2003 to James P. O’Loughlin who assigned the patent to the United States of America as represented by the Secretary of the Air [Force] (Washington, D.C.). This patent may easily be retrieved at www.uspto.gov
- See for instance, “Going Postal” by Mark Ames at www.softskull.com/ detailedbook.php?isbn=1-932360-82-4.
- In depth interviews with approximately 200 persons carried out by the author over the past 15 years.
- Persons looking for a more thorough explication of the Bush Administration’s plan for world domination will find it at www.newamericancentury.org; the documents I find of particular interest are the Statement of Principles www.newamericancentury.org/statementofprinciples .htm signed by Jeb Bush, the President’s brother and Governor of Florida, Dick Cheney, Vice President of the United States, and Donald Rumsfeld, Secretary of Defense – among other luminaries. The other item of particular interest is a document titled “Rebuilding America’s Defenses” www.newamericancentury.org/rebuildingamericas defenses.pdf.
- “Microwave beam weapon to disperse crowds”, Jeff Hecht, New Scientist, 29 October 2001, 26.
- “Details of US microwave-weapon tests revealed”, David Hambling, New Scientist, 22 July 2005, 26.
- On March 7, 1966, France declared its intent to regain “full sovereignty [over] French Territory – in other words, no longer to accept the presence of foreign units, installations or bases in France falling in any respect under the control of authorities other than French authorities” and told NATO to comply or leave not later than April 1, 1967. NATO’s leaders elected to relocate its troops and abandoned its many military installations in France. After the NATO withdrawal, France remained a member of NATO but did not officially participate in its military command until 1995, when President Chirac agreed that French troops in Bosnia would operate inside the NATO military command system for this peacekeeping mission. France has since signed a Status of Forces Agreement that has made it possible for the United States to engage in the protracted extra-judicial killing of French citizens by American military personnel operating without diplomatic cover.
- See for instance, www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/software/story/ 0,10801,92493p4,00.html
- My source for this is contained in the September 1994 issue of “Periscope”, newsletter of the Association of Former Intelligence Officers, page 5. I do not know where Admiral Harvey got his information from but I have no doubt his information is reliable. The association is predominantly retired officers of the CIA.
- “Maximum pain is the aim of new US weapon”, David Hambling, New Scientist 2 March, 2005 www.newscientist.com/channel/mech-tech/mg18524894 and “Police toy with ‘less lethal’ weapons,” Daivd Hambling, New Scientist, 2 March 2005, www.newscientist.com/article.ns?.id=dn7326&print=true.
- “Method and system for generating sensory data onto the human neural cortex.” This invention solves the problems of surgical implants by “providing a non-invasive system and process for generating/projecting sensory data (visual, audio, taste, smell or touch) within/onto the human neural cortex”. United States Patent 6 536 440 has been assigned to the Sony Corporation and may be viewed at http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&S.
- Israel may use sound weapon on settlers, Associated Press, June 10, 2005. www.globalsecurity.org/org/news/2005/050610-sound-weapon.htm